Friday, March 22, 2013

Shocking Footage of a Hatchery!

I've read about the terrible treatment of chicks at these hatcheries... but it is a whole other story to actually SEE it.  Take 3 minutes and make yourself aware!


This footage was shot with a hidden camera by a "Mercy for Animals" employee, who got a job at the hatchery in order to  expose what was actually going on.  Thats some Sherlock Holmes shiz, yeeeyaaa!
Keep in mind that this is just the hatchery.  So after this terrible treatment, if they haven't been slaughtered already then they go on to an even more dismal "life" as they are raised for eggs or poultry.

Also, just so ya'll know... I'm not a huge advocate for a Vegan lifestyle or anything.  I do think it is awesome and extremely healthy, but I love me the occasional steak, holiday turkey, and eggs are one of my faves!  My husband makes the most delicious eggs and toast in all of North Orem baby!  (Thats a shout out to you Von!)  If I know you and we're friends come on over for some on a Saturday morning... it will be EGG-cellent!  (did you just roll your eyes?)  If I don't know you, I want to thank you for reading my blog... but you should probably stay at your own house and make your own eggs.
  Aaaaanyway....I think this video is extremely eye opening, and for me, it is one of many reasons why I will only get my eggs, poultry, and beef from a local, organic source where I can see for myself how they run their farm.  To be honest I haven't found a local organic source of chicken yet.  I buy my beef and eggs from local sources though.  I'm mentioning this because it is important to know that changing the way you eat is going to take time.  It is OK to take baby steps.  Give yourself a pat on the back for the positive changes that you are making and don't overwhelm yourself by thinking you have to make ALL the changes at once.  It may take a year or two to do a total overhaul on how you eat... and that is ok!  
I think most people would be surprised to find out they do have local, organic options.  You just have to do some research in your area.  Check your local classifieds.  Lots of local farmers will post their produce or meat in the classified.  Also, visit the farmers markets in the summer and ask those farmers for more information on the local farming community.  
There are answers and solutions out there... but ya gotta ask around, do a little research, ya know... work for it just a little bit.  It will be sooo worth it!

Here are a few websites that may help you in the search for local produce and meats:
http://www.coopdirectory.org/directory.htm
http://www.localharvest.org/

No comments: